The Great Gatsby is set in the 1920's. This video offers a great introduction to the time period providing context for the novel.
After watching the video, answer the following questions:
1. What were at least two unintended consequences of Prohibition during the 1920's?
2. According to the video, why did the young adults of the 1920's feel betrayed by their parents?
3. Describe a few changes in women's fashion in the 1920's.
4. Describe a few changes in men's fashion in the 1920's.
5. What sport was known as America's favorite pastime in the 1920's?
6. Why did the Chicago White Sox become known as the Chicago Black Sox ?
7. Describe the lifestyle or at least three attributes of the flapper.
8. What made jazz different from other forms of music?
9. Wha's the difference between "old money" and "new money"?